We did these cupcakes at cooking class in the fall. I thought these would be more fun for St. Patrick's Day than just making green cupcakes. To make them more festive, I was thinking about dying the icing green and topping with a chocolate coin. You could even use M&Ms or Skittles to make a rainbow, especially if you were making a sheet cake.
Ingredients: Your favorite cake recipe or box mix and frosting-- both prepared and food coloring
Supplies: Muffin tins, muffin tin wrappers, Ziploc bags, 4-5 containers (large measuring cups or bowls), spoons or spatulas
What to do:
- Prepare your cake recipe or box mix according to the directions.
- Separate the cake mix into four-five different containers.
- Add a different color food coloring to each container of cake mix.
- Put muffin tin wrappers in the muffin tins.
- Layer the different colors of batter into your muffin tins, filling 2/3 of the way full.
- You can swirl the batter with a toothpick or skewer if you want more of a swirl look instead of a layered one. *Do not over mix or you will end up with a brownish color batter.
- Bake according to your recipe or box mix directions.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before putting on the frosting.
- Dye frosting, if desired.
- Frost cupcakes and top with a chocolate coin. *Make your own piping bag out of a Ziploc bag by filling it with frosting and snipping the tip off the bag.
**All photos and text are property of Angela Pounders and can not be distributed without permission.
If you share one of my posts, please include a link to my page. Thanks!